If you’re looking for the best LED grow light, this extensive review will help you make the right choice.
Choosing the perfect LED grow light for your grow area means you need to have some important things in your mind. The following are some of the most important things you should keep in mind when choosing an LED grow light:
- The area you need to cover: The first thing that you should keep in mind is the area that needs to be covered. By knowing this, you can decide how many LED lights you will need, and which type of LED’s will provide you the best coverage. Keep in mind that 5000 lumens are equivalent to about 50-80 watts; an LED grow light having a power of about 250watts should be covering about a 5-6 sq ft area. In order to cover more space, more lights can be placed adjacent to each other.
- The phases of the plant growth you need to treat: You also have to know the growth phase of the plant you need to treat or enhance. If you need a full growth cycle using these lights, you should select a full spectrum LED grow light to assist in all phases with different wavelengths at your control. It’s preferred that you have UV and IR in the selected grow light.
- Variety of light wavelengths you want to have: Keep in mind which wavelengths you would need to use in your grow area and focus on having them in your selected LED set up.
- Type of plants: Different plants have different needs, and you should select a grow light that caters to the needs of your plant.
- Angle of the LED lens: Also look for the angle of dispersion within the LED bulbs. The greater angles mean more coverage while the lesser angles mean less dispersion. Lower value means better targeting, and higher angle value means more dispersion and less targeted supply of the light towards the plant.
TOP LED Grow Light Picks for Your Grow Room
I have ranked these lights from 1-3, based on the results they showed and features they had. I think you will agree with my opinion after you try them out in your grow room.
1. Advanced Platinum Series P300
First of these top 3 is my beloved Platinum Series P300. You may want to know why that is. It’s because it’s a fully-loaded LED grow light that fulfills all the requirements in one go. It has a compact design and can be placed easily with other LED lights, and it has a 12 band light spectrum that covers 12 wavelengths from UV to IR to cover every level of plant growth. It also features an easy-to-use switch for vegetative and flowering mode. This grow light can give you a cover of about 4.5ft × 3.8 ft if you have arranged it at the height of about 18″. It has the highest lumen output if you compare it with other same level grow lights. For your satisfaction, it comes with a 5 year warranty.
2. Galaxy Hydro 300w
The next most effective and very productive LED grow light I’d suggest you to use either in your grow room or Greenhouse is the Galaxy Hydro LED Grow Light 300 W. It is suitable to be used for vegetative as well as flowering stages and growth. It provides IR and UV for better growth and results in better yield. A complete 9 band spectrum is offered for better growth at different stages.
3. Apollo Horticulture GL45LED LED Grow light
Apollo Horticulture GL45LED has the third place in my top 3 LED grow light list. It offers a well balanced 4 band light spectrum for vegetative and flowering phases. It has the capability to cover 4-5 square feet of plant area, depending upon the phase of the growth. Now, why I have included it in my list? It’s because it can operate in a wide variety of setups such as grow rooms, greenhouses, hydroponics, etc. It’s totally maintenance-free and will not require any heat removal set-up or fans, and can easily be placed near the plants.
LED Grow Lights Background
Should I address to those who are new to the indoor plantation filed or a top notch plant grower who is familiar with all of the tactics that lead to extraordinary plant growth, while they have been grown in a grow room under controlled conditions, it doesn’t matter at all. Rather, I am here to share what I have got and I think it’s useful for all whether you are a pro or a rookie in this indoor planting venture.
I am quite sure you need to know what I am going to write in these sections discussed below.
What is an LED grow light?
Let’s start with a little intro about the thing I need to discuss in detail that is the “LED Grow light”
If we separate the three components of this little bunch of words I just wrote, we get:
LED: that stands for light emitting diode
Grow: it helps plants to grow best when they have been planted indoors
Light: it provides light energy that will mimic the way the sunlight would have affected these plants when grown naturally.
It provides various wavelengths of light including UV and IR rays that can directly increase the growth and hence the yield of any plant grown under these lights.
You know what, after I have told this, the words coming out from pros in this field would be, why we have to read it further we already know this, but I should say no to this. Every grower has his or her own experiences and if he/she has found success then you should know what the secrets are behind the success.
And that’s what I am going to do here: share tips, tricks and secrets about what I have learned, earned, and grown, using my 10 years of indoor plant growing experience.
The indoor plantation success secrets revealed!
The role of LED grow lights in my grow rooms is pivotal and I must say that without these tiny wonder lights I might have not succeeded so much as I have done now.
I’ll keep my discussion to the point and focused on these wonder bulbs for plant growth. Let’s start with the best ones that I have sorted out after years of experimentation and experience.
How Do LED Grow Lights Work?
Now, if you still have questions about how these tiny little lights can help your plants grow better when there is no sunlight, then I am here to answer these queries as well. The answer is simple.
When the plants are placed under the LED grow lights, the lights emit a certain amount of photons to the surrounding area. These photons are emitted in the form of rays towards the plants, having various wavelengths. Plants absorb these rays and these rays activate the cell division among the plants. Plants have a tendency to absorb more blue light than other colors like white or green; hence, the UV rays are best to induce vigorous plant growth, while the infrared rays are best catalysts for germination and blooming boost.
The wavelengths can be adjusted according to the requirements of your plants in the grow room.
If you have plants to grow that are in their vegetative phase, using UV rays would increase the cell division when the plants absorb the rays. Due to the increase in cell division, the plants grow quickly and result in more yield.
In case you need to treat your plant on flowering stage, the most effective LED lights are those which provide IR rays. Infrared rays are best to enhance the bloom stage of the plants. These rays are readily absorbed by the buds and apex of the plant and this causes them to bloom quickly and heavily.
I’d recommend an LED grow light that has a wide range of wavelength options available, so that you can adjust according to the effects you need.
The amount of light, type of light emitted, types of plants being grown, Lumen per area, wavelength, and the height between plants and the light can all affect the growth of the plant being treated.
What Are the Benefits Of Using LED Grow Lights?
According to my knowledge, before the rise of these LED grow lights, there were other similar methods in use. These include HPS methods and fluorescent bulbs. These methods were not at all favorable for small grow room owners who need to have a small, compact structure to assist them in their indoor plantation venture. This is because these previous methods needed a lot of space to set up the whole equipment, due to the huge amount of heat being produced and the need to have a proper ventilation system to avoid heat build up. This mess made that process out of reach for the small grow room owners.
Now if you can see what we have by using these LED grow lights, it can clearly be noticed that these lights have made each and every grower either a hobbyist or a professional, able to grow enough indoor plants using LED lights at their ease. If you need to know what benefits can you get using them here are my experiences:
1. Compact and easy to install: These lights come in a very compact structure that is very easy to handle. You will not need any specific knowledge to get them installed. You can just have a proper place to hang them above the plants at the required distance.
2. No need for separate ventilation set up: These lights don’t emit a lot of heat and there is no need to have a proper ventilation system. They can work without any huge ventilation setup and type of large fans.
3. Can be installed adjacent to each other: As said earlier they have a compact design and most of them can be installed adjacent to each other in order to give more coverage.
4. Variety and control: Their wavelengths can be adjusted easily and also the modes for vegetative and blooming phase can be chosen.
All these factors have made me a great fan of these LED grow lights, because you have a complete control over what you need to get through them.
How many watts do I need?
In order to know the exact wattage you should have in your grow area, you should first calculate the area and the number of plants you will need to cover.
If we consider that 1 sq ft has 1 plant potted in it, then, the recommended wattage is 25 watts per plant per square foot. If you have two plants in one sq ft then the recommended wattage per square ft would be 50 watts and so on. So, if we consider our example discussed earlier, we have an LED grow light having a total wattage of 250 watts; it would be best for 8-10 plants to grow under it.
Some items which people frequently buy when buying LED grow lights
Some useful gadget you should have that will be helpful in your grow room:
- Grow room sunglasses
- Micro nutrients for indoor plant growth
- Sea -90 fertilizer
- Grow tent
- A complete tool kit for a grow room owner
- Light meter
Well, I think I have prepared you in the best way I can to jump into this grow light adventure. You will see its benefits yourself. I have suggested what I have found to be most appropriate, and the best in practice these days. All these suggestions are based on real facts, figures and experiences and they should not lead you to any issues or disappointing situations.
I always suggest that you never make a blind decision – rather, you should calculate your own figure to get the best results. Though you can compare yours with mine, remember it would not hurt you. Just focus on what you need and how you can achieve it the best possible way.